Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Garage Sales are incredibly boring

Well, since I forgot my books to read during my garage sale I figured I would finally put up my first post! This mostly means figure out how to actually make a post, hopefully throw in some pictures, and then add in all the bells and whistles. But yeah, garage sales are incredibly boring and I really hope all of this stuff sells because 1) less things I have to take care of when I move away and 2) a little extra money before I go live my "modest" life in the Peace Corps ("modest" and "adequate" I have found are two of the most common words in the volunteer handbook).
SO I received my invitation packet last Thursday. I know I was delayed in letting a few of you know (and I'm sure there are those that still don't know...to you, sorry). It is about 1 cm thick. It contains: 6 folders with forms in each that I need to fill out, 3 small handbooks, 2 sizable handbooks (okay, 1 was a .pdf file I downloaded) and my invitation letter! The letter has already been packed away with my diplomas and such and I'll probably frame it when I actually get the space to do so.
As I get ready to leave there are a lot of things, mostly compiling lists, that I'm trying to do before I leave. Surprised? And if you can help with any of these please do so! For example, I started a list for cities, parks or other attractions to visit (including surrounding areas for my "vacation time"). So for anyone that has been there I would love some tips! Some of the other lists are of the same depth (themes for pictures, interesting things to look into about the culture, etc.) but others are a bit more meaningful. Such as I'm trying to compile a list of community involvement projects and activities that I can do while I am there. While most of my time will be spent teaching Peace Corps volunteers are expected to be engaged outside of their "official service" in the community as well. I want to make sure that when I am placed in my community I am already doing my part as a member of it to foster growth. I thought with all the stuff I've been involved in I'd have a huge list in 10 min, sadly it's still pretty small. So if you hear of anything, really anything, dealing with community involvement let me know so I can add it to the list (or some modification of it).
I've also just been thinking of what I can write about in a blog; I would hate to be stuck with free time to write without anything to think of. So I've jotted down a few things like how teaching is going, sights, food, family or even things more pertinent to my service such as how I'm living up to the Core Expectations of a Peace Corps volunteer or fulfilling the 3 mission statements of the Peace Corps. Details are given in the handbook about a lot of this (and yes I highlighted them and took notes while reading) but I want to know what the people closest to me think would be effective and what they would like to see.
Oh yay! Someone called and said they're coming to stop by and check out the sale. Time to go look like I'm productive. I'll probably try and make another post later today in my large amount of boredom or at the latest probably tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment