Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A little tidbit about the end of last year :)

Okay, so here I am finally getting around to posting something.

Let's try and start where I left off: end of the school year. It went pretty well. I was actually getting a little sad to leave Tsintsabis but I would say that was "goodbye eyes" kicking in. But because of it I did enjoy and relish the last bits of time I had with the kids and I think they did do - or at least the ones that I got close to. Especially a few of the grade 6 kids, I had about 4-5 of them visiting me everyday in the library for hours. It was actually nice and wish they did it earlier on in the year. I am still hoping to see them when I go back to visit this year - hopefully to get them at one of our camps!

We had an end of the year braai (grill out) for all of the teachers. It was really nice and they even surprised me with some going away gifts. They all wrote little notes and the secretary compiled all of them into a scrapbook. Was so cool! And then Maiya (the other maths teacher) got me a clock and a couple cool things for my kitchen for helping her with some of her class work. It was a good time and I'll definitely miss seeing them around everyday.

So am I missing it actually being away from it now? Definitely, but not too much where I want to immediately go back. Work has been going well here. I've been at the office for two and a half weeks now. It's a very different change of pace being in an 8-5 office versus being in a school where my schedule is very haphazard and flexible. It's a lot more relaxing (in ways) and I can take a lot of things at my own pace. We still have pressing deadlines with lab setups, school/library visits, office computers, etc. but I can do a lot of my work in an order of my choosing. School schedules are pretty set so if I wanted put off a class or topic, well, I couldn't. I had to teach that class.

It's also been a lot more clarifying to me in many ways: what I want to do in the near future, what I do and don't want in my life, what battles I'll choose to fight and which ones I'll let go, etc. I won't go into too much detail because it could sound very...harsh or critical, but I feel it's for the best - even if I am turning into a cranky old man. This is partly why I traveled by myself last vacation. When I heard of the travel plans of everyone, and wasn't sure how my move would turn out, I just decided to fly solo. The thought sounded better as time went on and it was something I wanted to do. I wanted to get out by myself and clear my head. It worked and it didn't.

Vacation blog to follow soon soon!

These are pictures of the small end of the year braai. There was SO much meat to cook and it tasted wonderful!








































And here's my life here all packed up. Kind of a lot but not really when you think of the fact that's my life. And a lot of that was food/spices/etc.....sadly too appropriate.



No comments:

Post a Comment