Sunday, January 30, 2011

So sorry it has been so long! I've been all over the place literally and figuratively. After leaving my site I went to another PCV's place in Gobabis. About 8 of us met up there and hung out for a few days. Gobabis is east of the capital and kind of close to Botswana. It was SO hot there, but then again it's kind of hot almost everywhere. Afterwards I went to Okahandja to visit my host family from training. I stayed there a couple days and even cooked a big meal for everyone. It turned out great except that I managed to screw up the pasta. I feel like everytime I cook a big meal with lots of dishes/courses I always forget about the pasta and it gets overcooked. It was really good though, they loved the meatballs. Little sad that I didn't get to see our puppy, she passed away during our phase 2 (the time where we try to integrate into our community and check things out). Vetrenarians are really expensive here so the best they could do is ask for advice and hope for the best.

After Okahandja, I headed to the Coast and spent about a week in Swakopmund (or Swakop as we call it). There was a lot of PCVs in Swakop for the holidays. The large majority of our group was there (like 30+ !) and some PCVs from other groups too. Swakop is an amazing place. There's a movie theater, lots of shops and restaurants, amazing bakeries (a couple I frequented A LOT), overall a very modern and developed place. Much different than where most of us are stationed. We stayed at a campground that was right on the beach, sleeping on the sand (in my tent with a sleeping pad) was actually really nice. We even decorated the place a little with some holiday cheer by throwing up some tinsel and ornaments on the tree in our site. Our site was hilarious by comparison to the other sites:



All the other campers had really nice tents, Mercedes/BMWs, really fancy with most of the comforts from home. Our site had laundry hanging all over the non-powered electric fence, normal small tents and most of our meals consisted of bread and peanut butter or something from a can. Vary entertaining to say the least. We did a Secret Springbok (Secret Santa) that was pretty fun. I got a paddleball set that I'm hoping my learners will get to enjoy too. For New Year's we went to the bar that was adjacent to our campsite as they had a HUGE bonfire behind it. Was really cool to see and actually get to. We didn't want to pay the N$30 to get into the actual bar (because they had been playing the same Euro Techno music for the past 8 nights straight, we called upcoming songs pretty consistently) so we ran around along the beach...during high tide haha! I think all of us got a little wet and a lot of us got soaked. Many people even lost some electronics

After a few more turns visiting other PCVs and some new friends (I got to see Angola from a far!), I am now back at site anxiously and nervously waiting for the school year to start. It officially starts on the 13th for teachers (what a great 25th birthday!) and the 17th is when classes start. I actually got a lot of work done before the holidays so I'm not feeling too crunched but I do want to finalize what I've done, clean up the place and get organized before classes start so I'm ready to power through the term.

Oh! I got myself a little birthday present, not really since I was going to get it anyway but I got a bike! Now why would I need a bike when there's nothing outside of the 1km radius from where I live? Because I'm going to bike to my shopping town! That's right! I'll be biking 60-ish km to buy groceries and biking back with them. And before you nay-say it, I've already done it! Sure it took me four hours (.....one way) but I was carrying a pack full of stuff to go visit friends. I still need to get a small crate to put on the back of my bike and I'm hoping to do that soon for the increased carrying capacity and also to take some of the load off my back. I'll probably just end up filling my pack and the crate anyway but at least it'll mean I'm okay with the things I need.

Also everyone check out this site and please help out this place out if you can!: http://www.restafrica.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment