Thursday, October 7, 2010

and my 7th post...that also may have gotten deleted...

Wow, it feels like I have been here for months but looking at the date I haven't even been here a single one! All things considered life is great here in Africa. Yeah, that implies there are a few things not going great but isn't that the case everywhere? Things have been really busy, we have our first exams next week so I'm a little nervous for that especially since I speak Afrikaans the worst when I'm in class. Out at a party with my family I'll be okay and can manage but in class my mind goes blank. There have been a lot of things on my mind that have been distracting me and keeping me mentally tired so I definitely am not at my best but just have to work around it.

My family is doing awesome! I really like them a lot, I've heard some not so great stories about the interactions with other volunteers and their families. I don't think I mentioned this last time but two other volunteers are also part of my family. I think they are both nephews to me, or whatever the cousin version of that is. My friend Kim is also just three houses down and her aunty is always over at my house so we hang out a lot. She's learning a different language so we just sit around and have tea time discussing the various going ons, sometimes work on our homework but try not to and relax.

This past week has been pretty busy actually. Outside of the upcoming tests (which I doubt anyone has studided for) I organized for a group to come show us some dancing on Saturday since we didn't have an activity planned, had to give a speech with Kim on Friday in exchange for said dancing group (which I wasn't notified until Thursday late), and planned a pizza party at this resort nearby for our entire group for Friday evening. So that is part of why I'm tired, at least I'm becoming somewhat proactive again so can't complain. Oh, and we had a gathering of sorts last night (Sat.) that I guess I was in charge of but that was just a bunch of us hanging out.

One thing that I like and dislike is that everything here has more of that small town feel. It's great because when I was doing all these different things people were really personable and would work with you on it. For example our little pizza party, there was 50 of us. Most places in the States would require a deposit, reservation, etc. but I told them we didn't want to sign up for anything but maybe we could just order a bunch of pizzas. I gave the guy the order ahead of time and he made sure it worked out. Things haven't been refined into a by-the-book process, so there still is that personable touch which I really like. That being said it isn't as refined so some people would feel uncomfortable not having that set of rules and clear process. We call it working on Africa time haha. For example the event where we gave a speech was supposed to start at noon, I think it started at 1500 (3pm), the key-note speaker cancelled, sound system was late, etc. It is just something you go with though and work it out as you can. I think our group did really well and should have the patience for it, which is great if we're all going to be teachers (the 10 business people weren't there)!

Patience, I think that is something that either gets lost or developed over time. I know both are true for me; I'm really patient in regards to some issues but others I will just turn away from immediately. I really applaud people who strive to have it in all areas of their life, or at least the very difficult areas. For example social workers, they are some impressive people. I do not beleive I could last in many of the positions out there, I woudl become to fed up and just leave. I know not something a teacher should be saying but to me being an educator is much different. Being able to help others understand math is a genuine joy I have. Ever think about what your genine joys are? honesty I do not know if I could list mine for lack of really knowing what they are. Maybe that can be another side distraction this week!

Speaking of patience, sorry for being so out of touch! I'm in the process of trying to see if I can set up e-mail on my netbook and the interet cafe is a little expensive. I'll try and get it worked out soon so I can stay more in contact!

No comments:

Post a Comment