Sunday, October 17, 2010

Extra time...

I'm actually sitting in a classroom right now doing "observations". I've been jotting notes down about the classes and learners,not too much new information though. they're just like the secondary students in the States: a handful to manage at the least. The interesting part is the teachers. Since the unemployment is so high here (I've heard anywhere from 30-50%) a lot of people become teachers just because it's a steady salary. Not many go into it for the joy of teaching others. Kind of strange because in the States you DO NOT go into teaching for the money...it's more of "will I be taken care of while I slave for these kids?" if anything.

So I'm just going to try and play catch up with any of the pictures I've had lying around. These next couple are from a campsite nearby my school. It was started by the community to help bring in some revenue and previews a few aspects of what the San people live like. Granted the actual campsites are completely different(such nice bathrooms!!), they have small exhibits where travelers (I imagine not many "tourists" go there) can learn about the San.





Here are some pictures left over of my school visit. First is the view from the car down the 60km road from the nearest town to my site, followed by the view from the car of my first impression of my school (holy crap it's a military compund!...jk, more like wow it's so nice!):





Here is a picture of my principal, me and a lower primary teacher after dinner the second night. Below it is a picture of the hostel that is almost finished being built. It'll allow access to hoousing for more of the students which will be awesome because some of them have to walk very far through the bush to school (yep, just like you mom).



No comments:

Post a Comment